I can't think of one

It’s been a bit like trying to separate a lion from a still-warm, recently deceased gazelle – Honey does not relinquish the computer easily. He’s gone to play darts at the neighbors so I probably have a few minutes.

Over the weekend we did three photo shoots, one a spontaneous add-on. Terrell’s Art Models Group met for the first time since his new job took over his life. It was a beautiful day up at Cold Springs with heavy clouds and cooler temps. The inmates at the prison there get better weather than we common city dwellers. The model, Brittany, is a second timer for the group. We missed her first session due to a fishing trip – it’s been so long since we fished that my boat is feeling neglected. Anyway, the shoot went well and lasted about three hours. I sat on a water jug and finished my most recent Terry Pratchett novel (I highly recommend everyone take trip to Discworld soon). The model is moving to New Orleans next month and is pretty much over the modeling thing – she’s been doing it to eat for the past three years and it hasn’t developed into anything serious, so I don’t blame her.

Monday turned out to be a very busy day. Honey got a last minute call from model and friend, Alethea, who discovered a free afternoon and called to see if we’d like to shoot. –Can I just vent here for a moment? There are a few things that suck about living with Mom, and the worst is that my stuff gets continually moved and regularly lost. Currently I’m looking for my long-lost computer glasses to no avail. -Anyway, we jetted to the far north end of town to shoot in Alethea’s living room, doing some creative silhouettes. Unfortunately, those shots aren’t ready yet. It was a good time though. We met her new boyfriend, Darrin, who’s a professional clown (of all things). We’re working on a shoot with the two of them together.

Later that night, we went to the Strip to shoot Ysania, a friend and co-worker of Sara from the bike shoot. She was late, which is a huge pet peeve of mine (thanks Dad). To her credit, she got dropped off so we didn’t have to wait for her to park, and was made-up, dressed, and ready to shoot. Quite a lot of attention was paid to a girl in a pink mini dress being photographed by a big Mexican guy; some of it was the drunken and belligerent kind, but Honey can convince four men at a time to move along by just giving them “the Look”. I ended up holding a heavy snake skin forearm bag (or whatever you call them) so it wouldn’t be left unattended on the ground. I’ll never own one. The shoot went well, lasting about 2 and half hours due to crowds and walking. The model said it was her best shoot so far in Vegas (she’s from Hollywood). Last night she emailed wanting to know how TF worked and if she could see all the pictures and choose what she liked…
Let me clarify for those whom this is not common sense. Models, you never ever get all the shots (or your photog is an idiot). When you trade for pics, the photographer is working for free. In theory, both parties get something useful to add to their portfolios to help them grow, expand their repertoire, etc. The photographer goes through, selects the best shots, edits them, and delivers 15-20 to the model, usually in web resolution for promotional purposes. Not all shots are worth keeping or putting in the extra work to bring them up to quality standards. And a good photog never lets anything leave his hands that are unfinished.

This is Bubba. He's helping to break up this post so you don't stop reading from sheer exhaustion.

Tomorrow is the figure drawing session Terrell has put together. Honey is participating; he’s been an artist since long before I knew him and is one still, though the medium has changed. My presence has been requested, as it is for all the nude workshops. Having another woman present, even if we’re still outnumbered, makes a model more comfortable than if she were the lone female. I was really hoping it was a special skill I have, but I think it’s just human nature or something. I can’t think of the word, but it’s certainly less inspiring.

I should go to bed. I’ve been dragging tail since Monday night and need to gear up for tomorrow and Friday. I’m sure something will come up on Saturday; it usually does.

No comments: